I’m Feeling Anxious… What Should I Be Doing?
I’m sorry to hear that you’re feeling anxious. Remember that anxiety is just a temporary state, and you have the strength and resilience to overcome it. Trust in your ability to navigate through challenges. You are capable, courageous, and deserving of peace and happiness. Keep moving forward.
Here are a few suggestions that may help you manage your anxiety:
- Take deep breaths: Deep breathing can help activate your body’s relaxation response. Breathe in slowly through your nose, hold for a few seconds, and exhale slowly through your mouth. Repeat this several times.
- Identify the source: Try to identify what is causing your anxiety. Understanding the source of your anxiety can help you address it more effectively.
- Challenge your thoughts: Often, anxiety is fueled by negative or irrational thoughts. Challenge those thoughts by asking yourself if they are based on facts or just your perception. Replace negative thoughts with more positive and realistic ones.
- Practice mindfulness or meditation: Mindfulness and meditation techniques can help you focus on the present moment and reduce anxiety. There are several apps and guided meditation resources available that can assist you in getting started.
- Engage in physical activity: Exercise has been shown to reduce anxiety and improve mood. Engaging in physical activity, such as going for a walk or participating in a workout, can help alleviate anxiety symptoms.
- Reach out to someone: Share your feelings with a trusted friend, family member, or therapist. Talking about your anxiety can provide support and different perspectives.
- Limit caffeine and alcohol intake: Both caffeine and alcohol can worsen anxiety symptoms. Consider reducing or avoiding them, especially when you’re feeling anxious.
- Take care of yourself: Ensure you’re getting enough sleep, eating a balanced diet, and engaging in activities you enjoy. Self-care practices can help reduce anxiety and improve overall well-being.
- Seek professional help: If your anxiety persists or significantly impacts your daily life, consider seeking support from a mental health professional. They can provide personalized guidance and treatment options. (https://stlmentalhealth.com/what-can-therapy-counseling-do-for-you-your-mental-health/)
Everyone’s experience with anxiety is unique, and it may take time to find what works best for you. Be patient and kind to yourself as you explore different strategies for managing anxiety.
https://stlmentalhealth.com is a St. Louis mental health therapy practice in Creve Coeur, Missouri. The practice has a team of mental health therapists who provide therapy and counseling services to kids, teens, adults, couples, and families. Pearlman & Associates specializes in stress, anxiety, depression, relationships, and other mental health related issues and concerns. The practice can be reached by phone at: 314-942-1147, by email at: email@example.com or on the web at: https://stlmentalhealth.com/contact-us/. The office is located at: 655 Craig Road, Suite 300, St. Louis, MO 63141.