The Role of a Psychiatrist & How to Prepare
A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who did special training in psychiatric diseases and medications. A psychiatrist will meet with a patient between every three weeks and three months to ensure the medications prescribed are working – as well as addressing any negative symptoms and/or side effects.
How to talk with your psychiatrist…
- Go in with questions.
- Ask about medications. What are they? What are they for?
- Ask about your diagnosis.
- Be honest. The psychiatrist cannot help you if you’re not honest.
- Do not be afraid to call the psychiatrist if you’re experiencing an acute event.
What else should you know?
- Usually, there is a wait list.
- Appointments aren’t very long. For the first appointment, it may last an hour. For the remainder of appointments, they may last 10-15 minutes.
- Most psychiatrists are not therapists.
Finding a psychiatrist…